GoGuMa TwiGim or 고구마 튀김 or Korean Sweet Potato TwiGim. Ini adalah masakan Korea yang juga menurut mudah untuk dipraktekin. Kalo dipikir-pikir masakan Korea itu, apalagi side dishes nya banyak banget ya. Apalagi kalo udah liat di drama-drama Korea dengan settingan jaman kerajaannya gitu (jaman dinasti Joseon misalnya), kalo udah ada festival di kerajaan atau liat rajanya makan aja side dishes nya itu luar biasa banyaknya. Presentasinya pun cantik-cantik banget. Untuk side dish yang satu ini menurutku sangat-sangat ga asing ya buat lidah Indonesia. Sangat mirip dengan ubi (ubi jalar) gorengnya kita di Indonesia.
Source: Aeri's Kitchen
1 lb Korean Sweet Potato
⅔ Cup Frying Mix (Batter)
½ Cup Water
¼ Cup Frying Mix (Coating)
3 Tbsp Potato Starch (or Cornstarch)
1 tsp Sugar (Optional)
⅛ Generous tsp Salt
Korean Frying Mix
1. Obtain 1 large Korean sweet potato (about 1 lb, 4-5 inches in length). Wash it good and remove any bad parts on the skin. Cut it into ¼-inch slices. You will get about 25 pieces. Korean sweet potatoes have a different taste and texture than American sweet potatoes. They are sweeter and have a firm texture. So please use Korean sweet potatoes for this recipe.
2. Sprinkle a generous ⅛ tsp of salt evenly on top of the sweet potato slices. Set them aside what you are preparing the batter. This will help boost the sweetness of sweet potato later. Preheat your oil on medium-high.
3. Combine ⅔ cup of frying mix, ½ cup of cold (or ice) water, 3 Tbsp of potato starch, and 1 tsp of sugar. Mix everything together. Frying mix is seasoned flour that is good for making batter for deep frying. You can find it in a Korean or Asian grocery store. Cold water is one of the secrets for getting crispy food. You can skip the sugar if you want.
4. Put ¼ cup of frying mix in a plastic bag and add the sweet potatoes. Shake the bag to coat the sweet potatoes with the frying mix. This will help the batter stick to the sweet potatoes better.
5. Dip the floured sweet potatoes into the batter. Cover both side of the sweet potatoes with the batter.
6. Drop a little bit of batter into the heated oil to check if the oil is hot enough. When the batter floats right away, the oil is ready. Put the battered sweet potatoes into the hot oil. Deep-fry them on medium or medium-high, depending on your stove’s power.
7. Fry them for 5-6 minutes, or until the sweet potato slices are completely cooked, and the outside is golden brown. The easy way to check if a slice is cooked is to poke the center of it with a folk or chopstick. If your chopstick go through smoothly, it is done.
8. Place some paper towels on a tray and put the fried sweet potato slices there to cool and loose some of the grease.
Selamat Mencoba Moms :)